Thursday, May 05, 2022

an eventful day, 44yrs back.... when a journey began


 44years back, it was an eventful day…. Excerpts from the diary:

--
On the5th, everything worked out according to the plan....I went for a walk and saw Geeta's rickshaw on Mandir Marg - that was the last hurdle...

...Papa had left for office, and only my brother, bhabhi and Amma are at home. I called Amma and asked her to sit down. "कुछ बताना है"

तुम जब ये कहते हो तो घबराहट होती है”, she joked, “you say quite serious things in a casual tone like you may say that you and Geeta are going to get married.”

“That is exactly what I am going to tell you”

 “Where?” Amma was suddenly serious.

“That doesn’t matter. I am leaving and we are getting married.”

.....Her initial reaction was “ये ना करो”. But I explained…. Once the point was driven home, Amma accepted. She asked me to wait, went to her almarah, took out and gave me an अंगूठी” and सिन्दूर’ (which we didn’t used) for Geeta. I then told them the venue of the marriage, invited them, gave a note for Papa, and left…

---

My parents/ family could make it to the venue – as did many of our IITK friends… Geeta's parents could not, which now I feel was such a loss - but Uncle had already gone to work and finding a taxi between Lucknow and Kanpur on a short notice was not so easy during those days
...but so a journey began...


This was our "status update" that night

PS: looking back, we were such 22-23yr old kids then, but it worked out fine till it lasted...




3 comments:

Poulomi Saha Mukerji said...

So graceful and nostalgic. Beautiful 💖

C. Gupta said...

Beautifully written! What a touching love story. Thank you for sharing it.

Prabhash said...

Beautiful memories