Saturday, February 19, 2011

My "musical" progeny...

I remember a conversation/comment, some years back, while walking back from the office to home in the campus. I had stopped to say 'hello' to some better-halves of my faculty colleagues. The topic of discussion was about "good parenting" - how to bring-up kids!

One of my colleague's mother, who was also there, made a statement (which was bourne out of the wisdom of a having been there, and having seen lives lived): "अरे, यह सब अपने आप बड़े हो जाते हैं!" (Oh, they all grow up by themselves)

Her comment also clicked with what Geeta had written in one of her diaries:

"...I think the sun facilitates growth, the rain facilitates growth; they facilitate growth by just being there, by being what they are. The sun does not rise - and the clouds do not rain - so that the plants will grow, but their being there is invaluable to the growth… In the final analysis, the question is about the process of human learning, specially learning for personal growth... Conditioning, trial and error, imitation, rote, social facilitation and structuring - the bylanes all lead to Rome."

So, now I remember, and appreciate, these droplets of wisdom, as I share these 3 "cover" songs recorded by Bitti aka Manasi Saxena - our progeny (btw, I also learned in last one month that the "cover" means songs which are someone else's songs sung by other singers)...


[I am allowed to share only these 3 "covers" - the other 9 original compositions by Manasi and Shruthi will remain invisible till something 'copyright' gets resolved... though in this digital age, I fail to fathom what that would mean...
In the meanwhile she and Shruthi Vijayaraghavan, with such a lovely melting voice - daughter of one of my colleagues (TASV, some would know) - found each other and started singing together...and there were others - Navtej, Raman, Deepan who joined in]


Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (Cover): Lead: Shruthi - Backup: Manasi


Falling Slowly -- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (Cover): Lead: Shruthi - Backup: Manasi


Vanity - Yuki Kajiura (Cover): Lead: Manasi - Backup: Shurthi


----

So how did she "grow-up by herself" to make these?

Some images I recall:

  • Geeta used to play guitar - Hawaiian, not Spanish - so we had a guitar at home - we got it changed to Spanish
  • she - Geeta - had a booklet which had notations/strings (or whatever is needed to play guitar) which was with us when she left for another world
  • I recall images of Bitti on phone and internet - with the booklet and guitar in hand... talking to people, I don’t know, and learned to play guitar...

    Well... my learning:
    ...they all grow up - as we all did - by themselves without/inspite of "us" parent :0)
  • 4 comments:

    Unknown said...

    What a cute memory/real-life-story... Thanks for sharing!

    Maddy said...

    Thank you Sir. It is indeed as hair raising and humbling as always!

    Ajju said...

    What a perspective :-) So true !

    Hershey said...

    I've been fortunate enough not just to cross paths, but also spend a few years of my childhood, in the loving company of 3 admirable individuals - Geeta Aunty, Madhukar uncle and Manasi (Bitty). Although I was a young & naive lil' boy, the fond memories remain to this day. Thank you Madhukar uncle for taking me back to the past once more and making me smile on a day when I've really been at a dearth for one. Love you & Bitty - now and always.