Monday, March 28, 2011

it's all about The Story.. that we write, live, believe in....

a fable I read long time back - and still remember...




------------
Whenever there was misfortune in the land, the great Rabbi would go to certain parts of the forest. There he would light a fire, say a special prayer, and miraculously the misfortune would be averted.

When the great Rabbi died, his principle disciple carried on with the custom. When the misfortune would strike the land, he would go to the same place in the forest, and say:

"O Lord! I do not know how to light the fire, but I am still able to say the prayer."

And again, the miracle would happen!!!

Still later, when the disciple died, his own appointed pupil would go to the forest to save the people of the land. He would say:

"I do not know how to light the fire, and I do not know the prayer, but I know the place and this should be sufficient."

And then it fell on the newest rabbi to overcome the misfortunes. Sitting in his armchair, his head in his hands, he spoke to God:

"I am unable to light the fire and I do not know the prayer; I cannot even find the place in the forest. All I can do is to tell the story, and this must be sufficient."

...And it was sufficient!!

God made man because He loves stories.

No comments: